Welcome to play Killing Engine

username:
password:

Forum

Talk about anything related to Killing Engine. Have improvement ideas or suggestions? Share them with us here. Wanna set up a match or meet people? Come on in.

Post 05 Feb 2010, 16:26

The last year with Killing Engine was very though since we only had one programmer in the team. Pretty much all the graphics and sounds have been ready and waiting for months now. The progress from now on is largely dependant on the programming workforce available and we'd love to have more people in our team.

C++ Programmers
Our head programmer is Juuzu and he's done a remarkable job with Killing Engine. However, we will need more programmers if we want to develop Killing Engine rapidly in the future. We're planning on adding AI to the game and maybe even single player mode. The Graphical API is OpenGL and the editor is WinAPI and MFC. The whole package is together in Visual Studio.

2D Sprite Artists
We'd love to have even greater variety of weapons, environments and objects in our little game, but lately we haven't had very much time to make new sprites for the game. If you want to make some tiles, weapon graphics and objects to our game, we could sure use the help.

Mappers
There are only few levels in Killing Engine currently and I don't have that much time to create new ones now. This is why we need more mappers in our team to create new multiplayer (and maybe in future single player) maps.

Other
We'd also hope to have more people doing sound effects and maybe even music to Killing Engine. Also, a second webmaster/PHP programmer familiar with MySQL, Joomla and PHPBB would be nice to have so that we could get all the cool features we've designed to our website faster.

These jobs won't pay you any cash because this is a profit-free project paying tribute to all of those great freeware games we used to play when we were younger.

If you're interested, come visit our IRC channel #killingengine @ IRCnet (don't be alarmed if no one will answer immediately), post a comment here or drop me an e-mail at juha.keranen@sevenshapesstudios.com.

If you don't know how to get to IRC, see this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=112
Believing is seeing.
Ianuarius

Project Leader

Post 08 Feb 2010, 13:11

Map editors eh?

Well I think I can help in that :D I'm used to create allkinds of maps in large variety of games like C&C and TK (tapan kaikki).

Intrested?
One team to rule them all... and thats TeamKarpo.
Jokinen

Post 08 Feb 2010, 13:42

Sure thing! The editor ships with the game and there's a tutorial somewhere too. :)

Come to the IRC-channel and I can give some pointers with the levels when you get something done.
Believing is seeing.
Ianuarius

Project Leader

Post 08 Feb 2010, 16:13

Ok, I'll have a closer look on the editor and try to find out how it works :D

Since I don't know what that IRC channel... um... ...stuff is, I put some of my questions here, ok?
So, what is the average size of a map? are there some sort of limits how big or small it must be to
get into the actual game? And are there specific themes or stuff like that you want to be included
in maps?

Please answer here, or to my email :D (and if you use my email, which can be found in my profile
page, could you use finnish? :D thank you.)
Jokinen

Post 08 Feb 2010, 16:46

I can try to make few maps too.
Simotheaikagay

Post 08 Feb 2010, 17:17

I'm a little bit interesting about that PHP/MySQL job. Can you tell me, what kind of job is it?
Mikko

Post 08 Feb 2010, 23:05

The size of the map is up to you. The team deathmatch map Soldiers is 72x72, Bunker 64x64 and Riotcity 120x120. So make it how big you want. :) Any maps can be played in the game so it's not really up to that. Do what you think would be fun for at least 16 players (and in largest ones up to 64).

Making maps requires a lot of artistic visionary, I would say, and if you can come up with good stuff we could certainly use the help when making single player maps too. But that's about future. Just use your imagination and do your best. :)

The webmaster job is pretty much about customizing the website, mainly profiles, forum and hall of fame. Also we're planning on having support for clans and more statistics.

You can use this webapp http://webchat.xs4all.nl/ in order to connect to IRCnet. Just put the name of the channel (#killingengine) and your nickname there and get on. If no one's answering, try some other time. :)
Believing is seeing.
Ianuarius

Project Leader

Post 08 Feb 2010, 23:41

Ok, well I just finished my first real map called "Hideout". It's kind a small map for 16 players, but
for like 8 or 12 players it's reasonable. I did it pretty "fast" so thats why it's so small, but it's only like
a "demo" so you game makers could see if you want more this kind of stuff, and so you could say if
theres something missing or if I should change something in this one, or in the upcoming maps.

Anyways, January, would you like me to send you the map by email or do you prefer downloading it
from "my server", or what? :)

PS: This forum should have a "finnish section" where you could talk (write) finnish. :D
Jokinen

Post 09 Feb 2010, 09:28

Anything is good, send it or post a link if you want others to be able to try it out too.
Believing is seeing.
Ianuarius

Project Leader

Post 09 Feb 2010, 21:07

I've now finished my first map, and i think its ready to be tested. I'll send it to your email.

Some map properties:

Size: 80x80
Mode: TDM
Name: The Labyrinth (I decided to make something more unusual ;) )

I made two versions of the map, the only difference between those are the spawn points.
If you like the map i can upload it and send a link for other players. :)
Simotheaikagay